PDC European Championship 2015 – Semi-Final Preview
Tonight we have the two semi-finals and final at the European Championships.
The quarter-finals saw some excellent performances from Wright, van Gerwen and Anderson, rounded off by a last leg thriller between Lewis and Taylor.
I have compiled my usual stat preview for the two semi-finals. Don’t forget you can follow me on twitter for more stats too.
Michael van Gerwen
• He has the highest tournament average and checkout % of the four semi-finalists, having averaged over 106 in each of the Last 16 and Quarter-final, he also checked out over 50% in both of those matches.
• He has played 14 PDC TV ranking tournament semi-finals prior to tonight and lost in just 4 of them.
• MVG has beaten Wright in every PDC TV ranking match they have played, winning three at the World Championship twice at the World Matchplay and once at the UK Open. Wright did defeat MVG at the Japan Darts Master this year but that was not a ranking event for the PDC order of merit.
• Wright has averaged over 102 in each of his last two matches. Impressively against Henderson in the quarter-finals he scored 9 180’s and heads MVG in the overall tournament 180 count.
• He has played in 4 PDC TV ranking tournament semi-finals previously and has won 2 and lost 2. This is his 3rd PDC TV ranking tournament semi-final from the four played this season, having reached the final of the UK Open and lost in the semis at the World Matchplay (both of those defeats were to van Gerwen).
• Anderson produced his best performance of the tournament so far during his quarter-final win against Klaasen; he averaged over 103 and hit just over 55% on his double attempts in that match.
• Anderson has won 5 of his 7 previous appearances in the semi-finals of PDC TV ranking tournaments. The most recent one being at the World Championships, when he defeated van Gerwen.
• They are certainly no strangers to playing one another as they have met 11 times during 2015, with Anderson winning 7 to Lewis’s 4. Most recently they met on consecutive days only last weekend, Lewis won on the Saturday and Anderson won on the Sunday on his way to winning the final Players Championship pro tour event of the season.
• Lewis has had to come through two last leg deciding matches to reach this stage of the tournament, meaning he is now 14-4 in last leg deciders in ranking tournaments this season.
• He will be aiming to reach his fourth European Championship final, having finished runner-up twice and winner in 2013. He has played in 11 PDC TV ranking tournament semi-finals and has only lost in 2 of them.
• The best win Lewis has had over Anderson is undoubtedly when they played in the final of the 2011 PDC World Championships, Lewis famously also hit a 9 dart finish in that match.